There are many things to see and do in Peru, one of the most incredible countries in the world and also one of the most visited. We do not deceive anyone if we say that this is intimately linked with Machu Picchu and that few people can think of Peru without thinking of the impressive Inca citadel. But we can also tell you that Peru is much more than Machu Picchu, since you have incredible places that we are sure will give you some of the most unforgettable scenes of the trip.
It is also one of the countries with the most culinary tradition, which thanks to its modern proposals, World Travel Awards, have given the country the title of Culinary Destination of South America for 5 years in a row.
If it is your first visit, we offer you a list of 25 things to see and do in Peru, through which you will combine culture, nature, impressive cities and a unique gastronomy, which make Peru the richest country in the world.
1. See sunrise over Machu Picchu while the soft mist gives way to the incredible postcard of the Inca citadel. One of the best things to see and do in Peru. For more information we recommend you read this post on how to get to Machu Picchu.
2. Visit the Chauchilla Cemetery, 30 kilometers from Nazca, which is a very interesting pre-Inca necropolis.
3. Spend a day in Arequipa, the white city, which makes all its visitors fall in love and one of the best tips for traveling to Peru.
4. Walking Tambomachay, Pukapukara, Qenqo, Cristo Blanco and Sacsayhuaman, in Cuzco, an experience that we assure you, will be incredible as well as unforgettable.
5. Approach to the Ballestas Islands, where you can enjoy the marine fauna of the area and the incredible vision of the enigmatic Candelabra.
6. Spend a couple of days in the Colca Valley, considered one of the deepest in the world.
7. Before leaving Lake Titicaca, approach Sillustani from Puno, a cemetery where you can see tombs belonging to the Colla culture.
8. Spend a day in the Paracas National Reserve, a unique ecosystem, where you can enjoy deserts, fossils, endless deserted red sand beaches and impressive animal life.
9. Tour for days and not miss any of the essential places to see in Cusco, one of the most incredible cities in the world.
10. Know Pisac, one of the essential places to visit in Peru, that will make you fall even more in love with this country.
11. Do not let Ollantaytambo be only a place of passage to reach Machu Picchu and stay a few hours to discover this very interesting Inca archaeological complex.
12. Spend a few hours in the Huacachina Oasis, the only one you can find in America, which is also one of the essential places to visit in Peru.
13. Spend a few hours, or a day, in Puno, the gateway to Lake Titicaca, one of the most beautiful in the world.
14. Know the Salt Mines of Maras, in the Sacred Valley of the Incas and one of the few places in the world where the rare pink salt is mined.
15. Fly over the enigmatic Nazca Lines expecting to see all the ancient geoglyphs found in the Nazca desert.
16. Discover Chinchero, a small Peruvian town, where you can see up close the local traditions.
17. Feeling part of history in Sacsayhuaman, one of the most interesting archaeological complexes in Peru
18. Do, at least once in life, the Inca Trail, one of the legendary trips that exist in the world.
19. Dive into the mythical Amazon, one of the best things to do in Peru. For this, nothing is more recommended than booking this 3, 4 or 5-day Tour of the southern Amazon with which you can live an unforgettable experience at the Muyuna Lodge.
20. Visit the Monastery of Santa Catalina in Arequipa, one of the most impressive religious colonial complexes in the world, where nuns of the order Santa Catalina de Siena lived.
21. Spend several days in Iquitos, one of the gateways to the Amazon and a fantastic place to rest on a route through Peru.
22. Climb the Huayna Picchu mountain, losing your fear and above all, reserving in time to avoid running out of tickets.
23. As touristy as it may sound to you, not going to the Uros Islands on Lake Titicaca, it’s like not having been to Peru, so don’t hesitate. We assure you that although touristy, they are very interesting.
24. Shudder in front of the Karajía sarcophagi, the creation of the ancient chachapoyas, who were found in the upper area of a ravine, very difficult to access.
25. Realize, during your incredible trip to Peru, that everyone smiles in the same language and that this, in that, is one of the richest countries in the world.